Monday, August 23, 2010

Going HUNGRY

It's the first year I joined 30Hour Famine because I too, was one of those people who went "Why in the world would you want to starve yourself for 30 hours?" ._.

But joining this year, is eye-opening. The things that the 26-hour camp made me realise is something all of us already know. It's in our heads. We just refuse to acknowledge it, hoping that not talking about it means that it's not happening. That there ARE people living in poverty and while we experienced food deprivation for 30 hours, that's the life they live everyday. So if you ask me, I did learn something that 30 hours.

Let's make a list ;) 

What I DIDN'T Know Before 30 Hour Famine
  1. With just RM300 a month, I am richer than over 60% of the world's population. Shocking? Yeah.
  2. Starving for 30 hours straight is seriously NOT easy. I could've died just thinking about all the food I usually don't give a shit about. And so, I am now freaking grateful I have food on my table everyday.
  3. It's not their fault they're living in poverty. 
  4. Life is unfair. And being in the top 40% in terms of wealth, I am guessing it's unfair in my favour. There are so many people out there who goes day to day without food while I'm complaining about internet deprivation. Like I said, eye-opening.
  5. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: SOYA BEAN FTW ;D Lol I survived 30 hours on soya bean alone! Still, I am not drinking that again for at least a month ._.
All in all, it was an awesome weekend and I'd do it again, any given day ;)

No comments: