I used to write scripts of what I would say in interviews. A long-winded essay about myself with a couple of inevitable big words thrown in like salt and pepper in a dinner dish. I would memorize that piece of wrinkled paper from top to bottom. The day would come, and I'd be trembling. More than that, I'd be trying so hard to keep myself still that it makes me shake. I used to think preparation and practice were the two keys to acing an interview.
I used to want things that I didn't really want. Those interviews were for medical scholarships. I wanted it so I could please the world around me. I wanted it so I'd be guaranteed a comfortable living. I never wanted it because I loved it.
You don't realize how much you would have to say about something, when you love it. I don't think I ever knew how innate this passion for writing was. I don't think I ever heard myself speaking of something so confidently. In a voice that wasn't anyone else's, but mine. That for the first time, I kept my integrity intact during an interview. There was no need to lie, fabricate stories and anecdotes that never happened.
There was only me, sitting in a worn-out chair spitting words. and more words.
And that's how you know what is God's gift in you. Find, and pursue it.
No comments:
Post a Comment